The Farrell Pharmacy was established in 1908 by Edward Farrell Sr. The
first location was at the northeast corner of Elm and Euclid Streets.
A second location was eventually established in the Masonic Temple Building
(northeast corner of Elm and Kenner Streets). These two locations were
simultaneously operated by Ed Farrell Senior's three children: Ed Farrell
Jr., Mary Farrell and Agnes Farrell. Ed Farrell Jr. operated the store
from the original location, which was closed in the years following
World War II. Mary and Agnes Farrell operated the store from the Masonic
Agnes and Mary Farrell were among the first women pharmacists in the
Commonwealth of Kentucky. Mary graduated from St. James School in Ludlow
and La Salette Academy in Covington. In 1917, she graduated from the
Queen City Pharmacy College of Cincinnati. Agnes Farrell also attended
St. James School in Ludlow and La Salette Academy in Covington. She
attended the Cincinnati College of Pharmacy. She graduated from pharmacy
school in 1927, and was ranked first in a class of 75. In 1928, Agnes
Farrell passed the Kentucky Pharmacy Examination.
In 1960, Edward Farrell Jr. Retired. William Farrell Sr. took over
the operation of the store at this time. His brother John 'Jack' Farrell
assisted him. Later, William Farrell Jr. joined the pharmacy team.
In the late 1990s, the Farrell Pharmacy was merged with the Ludlow Family
Pharmacy, which was located in the Junior Order Building at the southwest
corner of Elm and Davis Streets. The pharmacy is currently owned by William Litmer.
In 2012 The Ludlow Family Pharmacy built a new facility at the northeast corner of Elm and Carneal Streets.
News Enterprise, October 19, 1988, p. 7; Kentucky Post, June 4, 1927,
p. 1 and August 7, 1928, p. 8; Kentucky Times-Star, July 21, 1917, p.