The Ludlow World War II Veterans organization was established in May
1946. Over 100 former servicemen and women participated in its inception.
At this time, almost 900 veterans lived in the city. The following temporary
officers were elected: William Stubbs (president), William Grieme (vice
president), Alvin Reed (recording secretary), Nicholas Allgeyer (financial
secretary), and Al Schwartz (treasurer).
The major financial benefactor of the new group was the Ludlow Service
Organization, which was established in 1943. William Burns (1943) and
G.W. Efker (1943-1946) held the office of president of the Ludlow Service
Organization. The organization's primary goal was to raise funds to
assist returning veterans in re-establishing their homes and careers.
Government programs, like the GI Bill, made the local fundraising efforts
unnecessary. The Ludlow Service organization, therefore, decided to
turn over their funds ($9,000.00) to the new veterans group.
In 1951, the Veterans purchased the Good Fellowship Club building and
grounds on west Elm Street. In 1954, a large hall with an upper level
patio was added to the facilities. The organization expanded its membership
by welcoming veterans from the Korean Conflict and the Vietnam War.
The veterans were instrumental in the rebuilding of the Ludlow War Memorial
in the city park in 1967. The redesigned memorial was dedicated on September
8, 1968. The group has been involved with many civic and charitable
endeavors over the years.