The Catholic Athletic Association was established in 1907 at Mother
of God Church in Covington. The Club offered a Catholic alternative
to the YMCA.
In the early years of the Twentieth Century, the club purchased a piece
of property at 828 Elm Street in Ludlow. The property was used for camping,
picnics and swimming. In 1930, the first building was erected on the
Active membership plunged during the Second World War as most young
men were serving in the military. At this time, the emphasis of the
CAC evolved from an athletic organization to a social one. From this
point forward, the building began to be used for dances, social events,
picnics and private parties.
The CAC did not accept new members. By the 1960s, the membership had
aged and activities had decreased. The CAC ceased to exist in 1968,
when the building and grounds were sold to the Kehoe Council Knights
Ludlow centennial Souvenir Program, 1864-1964, p. 35; News Enterprise,
January 11, 1968, p. 1.