Ludlow city government has been housed in several different locations.
The first home of city government was the Odd Fellows Hall on Oak Street.
In 1881, the citizens of Ludlow approved the construction of a $2,000.00
city hall. Property was purchased in the 300 block of Oak Street (where
the current firehouse stands). A one-story, brick building was constructed.
The plans for the structure were drawn by architect E.A. Ashley. The
new building was completed by the December 1881 council meeting.
By the 1920s, Ludlow had outgrown both its city building and firehouse.
In 1922, the citizens voted to expend $40,000.00 to construct a new
combination city hall and firehouse. The vote was approved 753 to 259.
In March 1923, Ludlow architect William Purcell presented a set of plans
to the mayor and council. The new two-story, wire cut brick building
would house two bays for the fire equipment and an office for the police
department on the first floor. The second floor would contain a large
meeting hall for the city council, a small office for the city clerk
and a meeting room for the fire department. Ludlow's new city hall was
dedicated on May 24, 1924 with appropriate ceremonies.
In 1963, the city administration purchased a large building at 231 Elm
Street for use as a city garage and office space for the city treasurer.
The building was dedicated in the memory of former mayor Winfred W.
Smith. This structure is also called the public works building.
In February 1968, the Ludlow Police Department moved from the 1924 building
on Oak Street to the Public Works building at 231 Elm Street. In 1979,
another move was found necessary. In order to provide handicapped accessibility
to Ludlow residents, most city offices were moved to a one-story frame
building (227 Elm) located next door to the police department and public
Beginning in the early 2000s city offices and the police department began outgrowing their quarters at 227 Elm. A decision was made to purchase the old Ludlow Christian Church and to remodel the facility into a new municipal center housing city offices, council chambers and the police department. The new facility was dedicated on October 29, 2008. At that time the city council unanimously named the council chambers in honor of long time mayor Ed Schroeder.
Kentucky Post, November 11, 1922, p. 1, March 1, 1923, 1923, p. 1,
March 23, 1923, p. 1, January 2, 1924, 1924, p. 3, May 20, 1924 and
May 26, 1924, p. 1; News Enterprise, November 2, 1967, p. 1, February
29, 1968, p. 1 and July 12, 1979, p. 1; Ludlow Celebrates, 1864-1989,