Long-time resident of Ludlow and proprietor of Schrage Hardware. Schrage
and his wife Magdelan purchased the hardware store of Joe Gerwe at 241
Elm Street in Ludlow in 1920. In 1934 the store moved to 242 Elm Street
where it remained until 1938, when a new location was found on Ash Street.
A year and a half later, the store moved to the northwest corner of
Elm and Kenner Streets (previously known as the Woolford building).
Schrage operated the hardware store from this location until his retirement
in 1963. His daughter, Marcella Schrage, built a new Schrage Hardware
Store at 648 Elm Street near the new post office in 1964.
Bernard Schrage resided at 65 Kenner Street. He was a member of St.
James Church in Ludlow and the parish Holy Name Society. Schrage also
was a member of the Kehoe Council Knights of Columbus, the Ludlow Rotary
Club and the Ludlow Businessmen's Association.
Schrage was known in Ludlow as 'Pop.' He received this nickname during
World War II. Schrage sent copies of the News Enterprise, cards and
gifts to many of Ludlow's serviceman. The servicemen were so touched
by his generosity that they began referring to him as 'Pop,' a title
Bernard Schrage died on April 4, 1971 at St. Charles Nursing Home in
Covington, he was 83 years old. Mass of Christian burial was held at
St. James Church, Ludlow with burial at Mother of God Cemetery in Covington.
He was survived by six children: Marcella Schrage, Delores Pieschel,
Virginia Cleary, Richard Schrage, Bernard W. (Bud), and James Schrage.
News Enterprise, August 20, 1964, p. 1, November 19, 1970, p. 1,November
26, 1970, p. 4 and April 8, 1971, p. 1.