Israel L. Ludlow, son of one of the founders of Cincinnati, purchased
Elmwood Hall and 710 acres from William Bullock in 1830. Later, Ludlow
was able to acquire additional land from Bullock (his total property
amounted to 1,200 acres in 1837).
Israel L. Ludlow began to subdivide his large land holdings in the 1830s.
In 1832, he sold 42 acres to his brother-in-law, George Kenner. Kenner
built the beautiful Somerset Hall on this property. Ludlow also sold
smaller lots. In time a small village emerged. The original plat of
Ludlow was laid out in 1846 by Ludlow. The original plat stretched from
Traverse Street in the East to Carneal Street in the west.
Mrs. Helen A. Ludlow was the wife of Israel Ludlow. She was born in
1807 in Alexandria, Virginia. Helen Street in Ludlow was named after
her. She survived her husband and lived in the family home on River
Road. Helen Ludlow died on March 6, 1872 in her home.
The Ludlow's two children: Albert S. and William, contributed much to
the development of the city. The family donated property for the construction
of a new public school in the early 1890s and donated 5 acres of property
for the city park in 1926. The park was a memorial to Albert S. Ludlow.
William Ludlow eventually moved away from the city, but he and his children
visited the town many times during his adult life.
Cincinnati Commercial, March 7, 1872.