G. Carlisle School began as a junior high school. When the new Holmes
High School was opened on the Homesdale property, the old Covington
High School building (built in 1872) at the corner of 12th and Russell
was vacant. In 1919, the members of the school board voted to renovate
the building for use as a junior high school, which opened in 1921.
The name given to the new junior high was John G. Carlisle. Carlisle
was a Covington native and politician. Carlisle held the positions of
United States Senator, Kentucky Lieutenant Governor, and United States
Secretary of the Treasury.
The location of the school, however, was not a good one. The site was
very close to the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad tracks. Being so close
to the railroad made walking to the school dangerous. In addition, the
railroad activity caused a great deal of noise, which disrupted classroom
work. As early as 1921, calls were being made to abandon the site.
The pupils and teachers would have to wait until 1937, when funding
from the Works Progress Administration was provided, before a new building
could be constructed. At this same time, the Second District School
on Robbins Street was also in a dilapidated condition. The members of
the school board decided to build a new school on the site of Second
District to house both the elementary program (of Second District) and
the junior high program (of John G. Carlisle). When the new building
was dedicated, the name was officially changed from Second District
to John G. Carlisle School.
In 1992, Covington School Board members began seriously studying the
future use of John G. Carlisle School. Several members supported a major
renovation of the facility, others wanted to build a completely new
structure. In the end, the decision was made to demolish the old building
and to construct a new one. In March 1994, the plans for a new school
were accepted by the board. The architectural firm of Burgess &
Nipple Ltd. designed the new building. Plans called for a two-story
brick school. The first floor would house the primary grades and the
second floor would house the fourth, fifth and sixth grades. Other facilities
would include an automated library, a science lab and a computer lab.
Several large decorative stone features from the old building would
be incorporated into the new structure. Estimated cost of the project
was $6.3 million.
Ground was broken in September 1993. The site chosen for the new building
was adjacent to the 1937 school. By August 1994, the new structure was
nearly completed. At this time, the old school was demolished to make
way for a parking lot and playground. In October 1994, the new John
G. Carlisle School was officially dedicated.
Kentucky Post, May 17, 1919, p. 2, August 16, 1921, p. 1, September
5, 1921, p. 1, September 2, 1992, p. 1k, March 12, 1993, p. 9a, September
11, 193, p. 1k, August 10, 1994, p. 2kk and October 28, 1994, p. 8k.