The annexation of West Covington by Covington had been discussed on several
occasions. The two neighboring cities were linked by roads and a streetcar
line. In addition, many West Covington residents worked and shopped in
Covington. Annexation had been discussed on several occasions in the late
19th and early 20th Centuries.
Annexation did occur in 1916. In May of that year, a pro-annexation petition
signed by 140 West Covington residents was delivered to Covington City
Commission. Covington's commissioners immediately agreed to place the
issue on the November ballot. State law required that 25% of West Covington
residents vote in favor of annexation for the measure to pass. Many prominent
West Covingtonians favored annexation. Among these were Bernard T. Wisenall,
Judge John J. Brown, Andrew Tritsch and Lee Tucker. Pro-annexation forces
argued that Covington taxes would be less, that West Covington children
would have full access to Covington's excellent public schools and professional
fire department and that property values would increase. Anti-annexation
forces, however were also active. Those opposed to annexation argued that
the other cities that had been annexed by Covington had received few benefits.
These individuals argued that West Covington residents would lose control
over their neighborhood if the annexation was successful.
The official vote on annexation occurred in West Covington in November
1916. The Kentucky Post reported that 130 voted in favor of annexation
and 304 voted against (22 votes more than needed by the pro-annexation
The final city officials to serve West Covington were: Joseph Moser, mayor;
Harry Frymuth, president of the city council; James Gormley, city treasurer;
H. Barkhau, city assessor; Ed Kennedy, police judge; and Sam Adams, city
attorney. The last city council included the following: Harry Frymuth,
Ed Schultz, George Moser, Henry Schatten, John Kerns, and Fred Hischomitter.
Kentucky Post, May 20, 1916, p. 1, October 18, 1916, p. 1, October
21, 1916, p. 1, October 30, 1916, p. 1, November 11, 1916, p. 1 and April
2, 1917, p. 1.