Several other churches have existed in the West Covington Neighborhood
over the years. One such church was the Calvary Assembly of God
congregation. This congregation was located 1279 Parkway Avenue and
had previously been the home of the Goodwilll Lodge NO. 936 Masons (1953-1972)
and the Epworth United Methodist Chruch (1879-1953). Calvary was established
in West Covington in 1972. The first minister was the Reverend Larry
Hill. He was succeeded by the Reverend Marvin Wildeman. The congregation
closed in 1977.
When the Calvary Assembly of God Church closed, the building was left
vacant. In 1977, a group of conservative Catholics established Our
Lady of Fatima Parish in the building. The parish was part of the
Orthodox Roman Catholic Movement. Members of the movement had rejected
many of the reforms from the Second Vatican Council, including the discontinuation
of the Latin liturgy. The documents from the Council of Trent and the
Baltimore Catechism were used as a basis for teaching by the congregation.
Dissident visiting priests took care of the spiritual needs of the congregation.
Lady of Fatima was in no way affiliated with the Catholic Church or
the Diocese of Covington. A diocesan official commented on the church
by saying, "because the pope has forbidden it (Tridentine Mass)
it is not a legitimate Mass
" The congregation received
some early interest from the Catholics of the area, but this interest
quickly faded. Our Lady of Fatima closed within a few years. The building
is now home to a Church of God congregation.
The West Covington Baptist Church is a more recent addition to the neighborhood.
The small congregation is located in a modern church building on Highway
Kentucky Post, May 14, 1977, p. 1k; News Enterprise, May 19, 1977,
p. 1 and February 23, 1978, p. 1.