The Fourth Street Christian Church was established in 1874, when 60
members of the First Christian Church on 5th Street withdrew to form
a new congregation. The new church initially met at Cooper’s Hall
at the northwest corner of 6th and Madison Avenue. On June 5, 1875,
the congregation purchased the old Presbyterian Church on 4th Street
at the head of Court Street. The building was dedicated as the home
of Fourth Street Christian Church on June 6, 1875. The building was
purchased at the price of $7,000.
By 1893, the members of Fourth Street Christian began making plans for
a new church building. Newspapers of the era suggested that a new building
was eminent and that it would likely being located in a more central
city location. Representatives from the Ninth Street AME Church showed
interest in purchasing the church on 4th Street. The proposal, however,
fell through when the members of the AME Church were only able to raise
$40 toward the $7,000 purchase price.
The members of Fourth Street Christian never abandoned their dream of
building a new church in a more residential section of the city. In
the meantime, a third Christian Church had been established in the city
under the name Central Christian Church. The Central Christian congregation
was established in 1909 and was meeting in a private residence at the
corner of Greenup and 15th Streets. Representatives from Fourth Street
and Central Christian Churches began meeting in 1912 to discuss a possible
merger. In February of that year, the members of each congregation voted
The new church formed through the merger of Fourth Street and Central
Christian Churches was named Madison Avenue Christian. The congregation
built an Italian Renaissance Revival Style church on the east side of
Madison Avenue between 15th and 16th Streets. The new edifice was dedicated
on November 30, 1913. The new congregation was led by Reverend Joseph
Willis Hagin, the former Pastor of Fourth Street Christian.
When the new Madison Avenue Christian Church was completed, the old
Fourth Street Christian building was sold to the Myrtle Lodge No. 5
Knights of Pythias. The Pythians used the building for many years as
a lodge hall. The building, one of the oldest church structures in the
city, still stands today as a reminder of the rich religious heritage
Madison Avenue Christian Church, Covington, Kentucky, Golden Anniversary
1963; Ticket, June 8, 1875, p. 3; Kentucky Post, March 7, 1893, p. 1,
March 11, 1893, p. 1, September 23, 1893, p. 4, December 9, 1893, p.
1, February 8, 1912, p. 3, March 19, 1912, p. 7, March 27, 1912, p.
7, April 12, 1912, p. 5 and May 5, 1912, p. 3;