Israel Evans was born in c. 1809. According to his obituary, Evans operated
the first pharmacy in the nearby City of Ludlow. The store was located
at the northeast corner of Elm and Carneal Streets. Evans also practiced
medicine in Ludlow. His office was located on the west side of George
Street, north of Elm Street. Evans was a member of the First Presbyterian
Church of Ludlow.
In 1848, Evans purchased the Landmark and the surrounding 27 acres of
Israel Evans died on December 19, 1895 at his Bromley home. He was 86
years of age. Evans was survived by his second wife, Catherine. He was
also survived by four children. Burial was at Spring Grove Cemetery,
In 1897, Israel's widow, Catherine, subdivided a portion of the Landmark
estate and laid out a small subdivision. Streets in the new subdivision
ran west from Rohman Street, and south from Pike Street. The names of
the streets were: Second, Third, Fourth, and Fifth.
Catherine Evans died on March 19, 1899 at her Bromley home. She was
laid to rest at Spring Grove Cemetery in Cincinnati. In 1900, the design
of the Evans Subdivision was modified by her heirs. Fifth Street was
eliminated and Short Street (north/south) was added between Pike and
Poweleit, Alvin C., Bicentennial of Physicians of Northern Kentucky,
p. 62; Kentucky Post, December 19, 1895, p. 5; Cincinnati Enquirer,
March 21, 1899, p. 1 and March 22, 1899, p. 8.