A number of Bromley Streets are name after early Kentucky pioneers and
politicians. Shelby Street is named for Isaac Shelby, the first governor
of the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Boone and Kenton Streets were named in
honor of Daniel Boone and Simon Kenton, two of the region's earliest explorers.
Pike Street was originally named the Dry Creek and Covington Turnpike.
The turnpike was established in 1846 as a means to connect western Kenton
County with the City of Ludlow. At one time, a tollbooth was located on
the Bromley boarder. When the turnpike went out of business, the street
name was simply shortened to Pike.
Several other streets bear the names of early Bromley residents. Two streets
that fall into this category are Moore and Harris. Moore Street was named
in honor of William and Nancy Moore, early owners of the Landmark. Harris
Street was named after David and Lucinda Harris and their family. In 1995,
Harris Street officially was re-named Steve Tanner Street, in memory of
Bromley's only Vietnam War casualty. Rohman Street was named in honor
of John Rohman, who owned much of the property in the vicinity.
Bromley's smallest avenue was given the appropriate name Short Street.
Highwater Road was built in the years following the 1937 Flood. The road
was specifically built as a means of escape for city residents during
floods. Bromley-Crescent Springs Road is also known as Low Water Road.
Originally this road went by the name of Pleasant Run Turnpike, because
it followed the Pleasant Run Creek from Crescent Springs into the Ohio
River at Bromley.
Others street names were determined by their location in the city. Front
Street was named for its location near the river. Front Street was located
one block north of Pike Street. Front Street's proximity to the Ohio River
resulted in severe flooding. In particular, the 1937 Flood did much damage
to the homes located on the street. These homes were eventually demolished
to make way for the construction of a sewage treatment plant in Bromley
in the early 1950s. Lake Street received its name from its close proximity
to the Lagoon Lake. The Reinhart Family once owned the property that now
lines both sides of Lake Street. The property was subdivided in 1900 into
20 lots and Lake Street was constructed.