exact date of construction for Bromley's first city hall has been lost
to history. By 1910, however, a city hall is mentioned for the first
time in local newspapers. The structure was built on the north side
of Boone Street west of Harris Street (now Steve Tanner Street). A substantial
addition to this structure was constructed in 1939. The addition measured
25 x 30' and housed a large meeting hall. Since this time, the hall
has been used as a meeting place for the city council, volunteer fire
department and other community organizations. Construction costs amounted
In 1961, Bromley voters approved a bond issue of $40,000 to remodel
the city hall/firehouse. The vote passed by a margin of 145 to 53. The
exterior of the building was remodeled in the Colonial Revival Style.
The interior of the structure was also extensively modernized. The Bromley
Volunteer Fire Department contributed $5,000 to the project.
By 1999, the old city building was showing its age. Structural weaknesses
in the floor of the firehouse bay on the east side of the building resulted
in the fire department storing their trucks with the Crescent Springs
and Ludlow departments. City officials decided to construct a new bay
for the fire department on the west side of city hall. The bids for
the project amounted to $135,000. The new bay was completed in 2001.
News Enterprise, October 25, 1962; Kentucky Post, March 3, 1939,
p. 1, April 21, 1999, p. 2k, May 24, 1999, p. 4k, November 9, 2000,
p. 2k and January 5, 2001, p. 1k; Bromley City Directory 1912.